Pregnancy is the most wonderful period in a woman’s life as she is pampered to no end. I remember that no taxi in Mumbai denied me when I was pregnant. Yes, even for short distances. That is what the bump could do. It melts people’s hearts.
The bump can also lead to cravings, both usual and unusual. So if you find yourself craving for mud, don’t worry, it’s alright, you are not sick. The hormonal surge during pregnancy affects your metabolism in such a way that it gives way to cravings – especially for fat, sugar and salt.
We have all seen women wanting to have sour and tangy food items like imli, mango and keri. Salted wafers, peanuts and fries of all kind come next.
I have met a few friends who have had the most unusual craving during pregnancy ranging from dust, mud, chalk, pencil and even uncooked rice. Even ash. While it is undoubtedly not safe to consume Ash and Mud, it is important not to over-indulge in other cravings like sweets and high-fat foods. It is okay to satisfy your taste buds but it is also important to draw a safe line.
Healthy substitutes for not so healthy cravings
- Try a toast spread with Jam instead of a creamy sinful pastry
- Ditch soda and coke and go for a fresh lime juice
- Forgo those crispy potato wafers and try the lighter baked chips or even just your plain salted popcorn
- Have frozen yoghurt instead of ice-cream
- Instead of the not so healthy roadside gola, you can have a safe glass of sherbet at home
- Instead of pizza junk, you can have homemade bread cheese toast, spread with spices and herbs
- Who can say no to chocolates? Only make sure you have a few squares than gulping down that whole bar of chocolate. Or better still try chocolate milk!
You will realize that once you start consuming healthier substitutes, you will automatically start craving the healthier options.